Thursday, September 10, 2015

Musicals - because life is better with a score

Since middle school, I have loved performing in and watching musicals.  Some people may find them cheesy and unrealistic because characters will be talking and then break into song and dance.  But I say, we need to break into song and dance more in real life!

In a way, we do break into song in our everyday life, but it may not be as melodic or entertaining as in a musical.

In a good musical, songs don't just come up at random.  There is always a motivation and a reason for a song.  It highlights something significant and is a vehicle for characters to express something that spoken dialogue can't do as powerfully.  It heightens the level of storytelling.

In everyday life, we all have those moments where we're trying to convey something, but we just can't find the words to make the other person really understand what we mean or how we're feeling.  Our voice and speech changes from what we use for normal chit-chat.  We might repeat ourselves or use words that don't entirely make sense at face value.  We may even get so animated that our body's doing a badly choreographed dance.

In those moments, wouldn't having a lyracist and score with an appropriate tempo, instrumentation, and melodic progression help?  In our most devastating and joyous moments, don't we connect more deeply with the moment if an appropriate song is playing at the same time on our iPod?  I know I always feel better after blasting a song in my apartment and singing at the top of my lungs - although my neighbors may not appreciate it.

So I say again, life should be more like a musical!  At the very least, it's nice having a soundtrack playing in the background as you go about your day.

--------
Here are some of my favorite musicals and songs, available on iTunes, in case you'd like to check them out:

Evita
  • Buenos Aires
  • Another Suitcase in Another Hall
  • You Must Love Me
Jekyll & Hyde
  • Once Upon a Dream
  • In His Eyes
  • Someone Like You
  • This is the Moment
Les Miserables
  • I Dreamed a Dream
  • One Day More
  • On My Own
Miss Saigon
  • Why God, Why?
  • The Last Night of the World
  • I Still Believe
  • I'd Give My Life for You
Once Upon a Mattress
  • In a Little While
  • Shy
  • Yesterday I Loved You
Ragtime
  • Goodbye My Love
  • Your Daddy's Son
  • New Music
  • Wheels of a Dream
  • He Wanted to Say
  • Back to Before
  • Make Them Hear You
  • Wheels of a Dream (reprise)
Rent
  • One Song Glory
  • Out Tonight
  • Another Day
  • I'll Cover You
  • Take Me or Leave Me
  • Without You
  • What You Own
  • Your Eyes
West Side Story
  • Tonight
  • One Hand, One Heart
  • Somewhere
  • A Boy Like That/I Have a Love
Wicked
  • Defying Gravity
  • For Good

No comments:

Post a Comment