Monday, October 19, 2015

Museums - my favorite fact-based fun

Since I was little, I have loved museums.  There's something about walking into that vast clean building, hearing the echo, and knowing there are interesting tidbits around every corner.  It's even better if it's interactive or has interesting facts to learn.

I still remember stopping by the Children's Museum of Indianapolis during family road trips and seeing my favorite exhibits - the giant rotating globe and a miniaturized house.  Those trips are so ingrained in my childhood memory that I thought about visiting after a 20 year absence during my last trip to Indy, but I was too busy witnessing and celebrating a national championship (more on that in a future post.)

My favorite museum as a child, though, required a longer drive - the National Air and Space Museum in Washington DC.  That building was full of wonder and history and inspired the future.  My parents would buy me the freeze-dried Neapolitan ice cream from the gift shop.  It was such a treat.
Science-based museums are still my favorite.  Even if I don't remember everything I learn from them, the experience of the learning is fun.  The exhibits are also visually fascinating and spark the imagination.  It's the perfect outing for families because people of every age can get something out of it.

I recently created a video of my visit to the American Museum of Natural History in New York.  You can check it out here, along with baby, toddler, child, and adult clothing to match.  And a video I made previously of the MoMA can be seen here.

 

I hope that this post and these videos inspire you to get out to more museums.  They truly are things of bliss in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment