Saturday, March 26, 2016

Early books get the bookworm

I love a good story, and as amazing as TV and movies are these days, nothing beats the combination of a good book and your own imagination.  I'm lucky that I developed the habit of reading at a young age.  Children's books are the best - from those early baby books that had only a few words but lots of tactile elements like a dog that actually felt furry, to chapter book series with no pictures but plenty of cool adventures that inspired real life fun.

Having recently spent time with my little niece, I was reminded of the books that shaped my childhood and, well, me.

Bumble B. Bear Rides in the Car by Stephen Cosgrove and Charles Reasoner


This book was the first one I could read in its entirety all by myself.  It chronicles the steps this little bear goes through to get ready for a car ride.  I loved the pictures and seeing how his steps compared to my own.  After doing a quick search just now, I found that it's actually part of a series of books - Bumble B. Bear does more than just ride in a car!

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle


A classic.  An interesting story, illustrations that spark the imagination, and counting.  What more could you want?

Up From Jericho Tel by E.L. Konigsburg


This author may be better known for From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (also a great book, and made me wish I could live in a museum), but Up From Jericho Tel was my favorite.  It had a bit of magic and fantasy in it and a little more character development and celebration of individuality than other books I read at the time.  Of course, that's my analysis now.  At the time, I just loved the book.  No concrete reason why.

The Baby-Sitters Club series by Ann M. Martin


If I read one of these books today, I'd probably still find them interesting, and I'd still want to be a member of the club.  I loved all the series and spin-offs - the regular books, the super specials, the mysteries (although they scared me a little), and even the little sister series.  I used to secretly stay up at night to finish these books.  They're probably why my vision's so poor, but I have no regrets.

The more I type, the more I think of other books that I loved.  If I keep going, I don't think I could stop, so I'll leave the list here.  The point is, children's books are wonderful and the list of good ones is endless.  If there are any children in your life, make sure they get to experience the joy of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment