Tuesday, August 4, 2015

In-N-Out Burger is in

The west coast doesn't have Wegmans, but it does have In-N-Out Burger.  I don't often miss living in California, but when I do, it's usually because I'm craving In-N-Out.

Even if you've never been near one, you've probably heard of it at some point.  People love In-N-Out and its not-so-secret secret menu.  I'm boring and usually just get a regular cheeseburger (lettuce, tomatoes, raw onions, no spread) and fries, but the cheeseburger and fries aren't boring.  Everything is fresh and you can actually watch them cut the potatoes for the fries while you're waiting for your order.



When I feel adventurous, I will order off the In-N-Out secret menu.  My go-to are animal fries with spread on the side.  Anything "animal style" consists of having grilled onions on it, and some other stuff depending on if you're getting a burger or fries.  Animal fries are their normal fries with cheese, grilled onions, and "spread" (In-N-Out's sauce which is similar to thousand island dressing).  For burgers, you can get them animal style, and you can order different patty/cheese counts:
  • double-double - 2 beef patties, 2 cheese slices
  • 4x4 (pronounced "four by four") - 4 beef patties and 4 cheese slices
  • 8x8 - you get the idea
  • And I'm sure more.  But you have to wonder why you're getting so much meat and cheese.
For those on a bread-free diet, you can get "protein", which means the burger is wrapped in lettuce instead of bread.  And for the vegetarians, you can get grilled cheese, which can have the same ingredients as a cheeseburger minus the beef.

I'm not a milkshake fan, but people who are seem to like them.  In-N-Out serves vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry, but you can ask them to combine flavors if you'd like.

Why I like this place is not just the good food, but also it was a fun place to go in my college days.  It's usually open until 1am or so, and I actually think I didn't go there during daylight until after I graduated.  When you go during peak times (lunch, dinner, or late at night if you're near a college) it can be tough to get a table.  But sometimes it was fun to stake out different corners of the restaurant with your friends, so one of you could claim a table for the group as soon as someone finished eating and stood up.

These days, I usually go through the drive thru or get my food to go, but every time I bite into one of the "ketchup and mustard instead of spread" burgers, I am brought back to my college days and soothe my craving.

No comments:

Post a Comment