Monday, August 10, 2015

More free coffee and treats

If you frequent Starbucks, you really should sign up for their loyalty program, My Starbucks Rewards.  I just earned another free drink today.  I think I've probably had as many free drinks as I've bought drinks from them this year.

All you have to do to sign up is register a Starbucks gift card with your information, and you'll get a free drink or food item on your birthday.  You don't even have to make any purchases, just register the gift card.  Make sure you opt-in for emails to get promotions.  You'll see why later.

Once you reach the green level, which requires earning 5 stars in a year (an equivalent of 5 purchases but could be less if there are promotions), you also get free refills on hot or iced brewed coffee and tea.

When you earn 30 stars in a year, you reach gold level.  Gold gives you all the same benefits as the lower levels, plus you get a free drink or food item for every 12 stars you earn.


Reaching gold is actually not that difficult, especially if you're a regular Starbucks customer.  I started the program when I was working for a company that required having a lot of "coffee chats" with co-workers, so I was having to buy coffee several times a week.  I figured, I was spending the money anyway, so I might as well get some free drinks now and then.

Loading a gift card and using it to make a purchase doesn't cost any more than using cash or credit card directly at the register.  And I was still getting my cash back benefits (see my post on Discover) because reloading of Starbucks gift cards usually counts as a restaurant purchase.

The best part about earning stars after reaching gold level is it's incredibly easy.  If you sign up for their emails, every now and then, you'll be notified of a promotion where you can earn bonus stars for your purchases.  There are some really good ones like earning 4 bonus stars for a certain type of purchase.  I've also had a deal where if I make 3 purchases in a certain time frame, I get 10 bonus stars.  That means those 3 purchases alone get me a free drink.  Note that a "purchase" means a "swipe" at the register, so buying 20 coffees in one transaction counts the same as buying just 1 cake pop.

As a special, if you sign up through this referral, you get a free drink without having to wait for your birthday.  Enjoy the buzz!


No comments:

Post a Comment