Friday, August 14, 2015

My Truthiness of Stephen Colbert

In just three and a half weeks, Stephen Colbert will be returning to our screens on a daily basis as the new host of the Late Show.  It's been a long time since his last episode of the Colbert Report in 2014, so it might be a good time to revisit some of his past work.

I first saw Stephen Colbert on his show, the Colbert Report, a parody news program where he portrayed a character also named Stephen Colbert.  Colbert the actor could make Colbert the character hilarious, thought-provoking, mocking, poignant, and sentimental all at the same time.


I so loved that character that I refused to watch any interviews or programs where I might see the real Stephen Colbert, for fear of shattering the illusion.  Luckily, a friend of mine convinced me to watch an interview he did with Larry King.  I saw that as himself, Colbert still had great humor and charisma, which is why I know the Late Show will be in good hands.

The writing for the Report and his character development was so well done that when Colbert published his book, I Am America (And So Can You!), I bought it right away.  As I was reading, I realized I missed hearing the character deliver the words.  My imagining of the character speaking could not have been as good as how he would have delivered it.  I should have bought the audiobook.

At that time, I was still in the mindset that audiobooks were "cheating," but I wasn't in school anymore, and this book was for my enjoyment.  Of all the books to listen to rather than read, surely this would be the one.  So when America Again: Re-becoming The Greatness We Never Weren't came out, I did the smart thing - I signed up for a free Audible trial and downloaded that audiobook as my free book.  (Tip: Now Audible is giving you 2 free books instead of just 1 during the free 30-day trial!)

Hearing the book read by the Stephen Colbert character was definitely more entertaining than reading it myself in my head.  So in addition to the hundreds of hours of entertainment Colbert provided me through his show and books, I also have to thank him for opening my mind to audiobooks and realizing that sometimes it can be preferable to reading myself.

The world will be watching with anticipation on September 8, as Stephen Colbert walks onto the stage at the Ed Sullivan Theater.  As a long-time fan of the David Letterman, it will be odd not seeing him, but based on his past work, I am excited about how Stephen Colbert will carry on the torch.

No comments:

Post a Comment